It is an undeniable fact that bad breath (halitosis) can turn off anybody; this is a very embarrassing situation and health condition for anybody. When bacteria builds up between our teeth and also on our tongue and not cleaned properly, this, in turn, creates halitosis or bad breath. Halitosis is a term used for bad breath in the medical field. This is the most common poor oral hygiene. Halitosis is a result that causes bad or poor dental health habits. Many times bad breath is a sign of other health issues. But normally halitosis or bad breath can be a sign of poor food habits or unhealthy lifestyle.
Here Are 4 Bad Breath (Halitosis) Causes 5 Tips How To Get Rid Of It
Causes of halitosis or bad breath
There is a wide range of different causes of halitosis or bad breath, and they may also differ from one case to other. The consumption of certain foods which have strong odors, using an excessively dry mouthwash, the habit of chewing tobacco, taking some types of medical courses. Other than these underlying diseases like liver infection, kidney problems, diabetes are different factors that cause halitosis or bad breath. Having bad breath is a sign that tells that there is something wrong. Usually, when we eat something the food starts to break down in your mouth. And if you consume strong odor foods like onions and garlic the odor will stay until the food is passed through your body.
- Bad oral hygiene: This is the most common ignored hygiene part, which causes halitosis or bad breath. The food gets trapped between your teeth and also on gums and tongue whenever we eat something. And if you don’t brush and floss properly every day will lead you to bacteria build up that causes bad breath.
- Drinks and food: Consuming strong flavors in food such as onions and garlic and other strong spices are main culprits to lead you to halitosis or bad breath. Besides food, drinks such as cola, caffeine, and alcohol can also cause bad breath. Sugary stuff and proteins like meat and dairy products also contribute in bad breath.
- Medication: Medications causes’ dry mouth that leads to bad breath halitosis, it happens due to the side effects from the medicines. Chemotherapy is an example of dry mouth and bad breath caused by medication.
- Medical conditions and health issues: In some cases, dry mouth and bad breath can be a cause of the medical condition or health issues. The lack of saliva causes in building up bacteria in your mouth which leads you to bad breath. Breathing with your mouth instead of your nose is also a reason of dry mouth. Some medical conditions that cause halitosis are diabetes, kidney infections, cancer, liver disease, and sinus.
How to get rid of bad breath (home remedies)
Getting rid of bad breath is not that difficult. You will have to follow few daily habits to get rid of these inhabitants. Few changes in your oral hygiene will keep bad breath or halitosis at bay.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Drink enough water is the easiest way to tame bad breath or halitosis, the biggest reason to bad breath is dry mouth, which creates bacteria build up. Keeping yourself hydrated will keep your mouth odor free and will also give you confidence.
- Fenugreek: To get rid of bad breath fenugreek is highly recommended. Boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds into it and let it boil for 2-3 minutes. Strain this tea and sip on it to get rid of bad breath.
- Lemon juice: When it comes to tackling bad breath, lemon is one of the best remedies. When used for mouth rinse, the acidic benefits in lemons will reduce and prevent bacteria growth in your mouth. To make the lemon rinse, add one wedge of lemon juice in one cup of water and use it to rinse your mouth whenever you eat something.
- Baking soda for bad breath: Baking soda is one of the best solutions when it comes to preventing bad breath. It is great in fighting bacteria build up. To make baking soda rinse, mix 1teaspoon of baking soda in one glass of warm water and rinse your mouth once daily. Keep this process running until you get the desired result.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is very well known for its pH balance and its effects. It’s natural without any side effects. Gargle after every meal with apple cider vinegar to get rid of bad breath.
Some tips and tricks to avoid and prevent bad breath or halitosis
- Choose your toothpaste wisely
- Don’t forget to brush and floss after every meal.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3 months.
- Clean your tongue.
- Invest in some good mouthwash.
- Never skip meals.
- Do see your dentist every six months for a regular check up to avoid any dental problems.
- Keep an eye on whatever you eat or drink. If you keep a check on whatever you are having will prevent bad breath.
- Avoid odor foods, sweets, caffeine, and tobacco to keep your breath fresh and healthy.
- For more tips read out another article 5 Common Oral Health Mistakes To Avoid